Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Fabulous Finds On Our Goodwill Shopping Trip

Greetings and Happy Hump Day!  Yes, we are halfway there.  I absolutely love being able to see light at the end of the tunnel. 

Today I want to talk a little bit about one of my favorite things to do and that is furniture rehab and repurposing.  This is something that I actually started in 2002 while away at college.  I was living in this adorable, Pepto Bismal pink garage apartment in Valdosta, GA; but, it was in need of some paint and few pieces of nice furniture.  I couldn’t afford nice furniture or anything like that, so I went for clearance items and Salvation Army items as well.  I purchased a three drawer clothes chest from Wal-mart, you know, the kind that’s in a box and you put it together.  It was the brown laminate furniture with the plastic black handles that you see all of the time.  Not very fashionable; but, it was functional.

Courtesy of Walmart.com
As time went on and I was settled into my classes and things at work stabilized I was able to do a few little extra things here and there.  The chest of drawers stuck out like a sore thumb in a stark-white, sterile looking bedroom so I decided to “rehab” this piece of furniture.  I found a long flower stencil at Michaels, some brushes and a couple of cans of paint and some nice drawer knobs from Home Depot.  I repainted the entire body with a flat, antique white color.  I then painted orchid flowers on both sides of the drawer.  I painted the edges gold and to finish the project off I replaced the black plastic handles with antique drawer pulls that had a really nice flower design on the.  I really wish that I thought to take a picture of that!  But, that was my first project and little did I know that I would actually enjoy doing that.  Sigh!

Fast forward almost fifteen years…my daughter and I went shopping the other day at a Goodwill in west Omaha.  We found several treasures that are definitely project worthy! I am really excited about these items and the plans that I have for them.  My husband is happy as well, especially since I found something that will help me to relax and will help me bolster my creativity.  

It is amazing what can be found in Goodwill as well as other places.  I am literally surrounded by thrift stores! As you can see I have several pictures of awesome finds.  Thanks to our "little pumpkin" grabbing stuff from the shelves :-)  I found a beautiful foot stool that is in fabulous shape.  I plan to reupholster this.  My mother-in-law is eyeing it, I think :-)


We found a very nice jewelry box that is very plain; but, has HUGE potential. This should be fun!

This is a nice crib that we found and Cecilia (our little pumpkin) was really excited about it.  She was on the floor rocking it back and forth, so I think one of her dolls may find its way in.


We found this little trinket box (at least that's what it looked like to me at first glance).  Once again, I think that this has good potential to be something more.





And finally, the one that I am very excited about...the glass jar!  Yep, I am going nuts over this simple glass jar because I have always wanted to create a terrarium.  If you are unfamiliar with the concept of a terrarium, a terrarium is a container in which plants are grown. There are so many different ideas and themes for these. I can't wait to share the results!



I thank you for stopping by again!  Please check back later for the results of these projects.  I plan on doing a complete before and after on each item.  Have a blessed and wonderful day!

Romans 12:6
"Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith;"

No comments:

Post a Comment